Nellie’s Social Justice Committee is comprised of staff and community volunteers who bring a wealth of knowledge and experience in areas such as feminism, anti-oppression training, counselling, education, advocacy, business, law, program management, and journalism.
Members meet once a month to:
- discuss relevant issues
- conduct research
- develop Nellie’s position papers
- plan and attend social justice community events and action
- work with various community partners to build coalitions
- engage in public policy consultations
- raise awareness on racism, classism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, colonialism, and sexism and how these issues impact women and children.
All the work done by the committee is rooted in the community and informed by the experiences of the women and children we work with. The events we participate in and plan seek to engage and empower residents and clients of Nellie’s to use their voice to speak out and participate in change, all while moving towards our goal of economic and political equality for all women and children.