Nellie’s is seeking members to join our Board of Directors whose experiences align with Nellie’s Mission:
Our Mission is to operate programs and services for women and children who have and are experiencing oppressions such as violence, poverty and homelessness. Nellie’s is a community-based feminist organization which operates within an anti-racist, anti-oppression framework. We are committed to social change through education and advocacy, to achieve social justice for all women and children.
About the Board of Directors
Nellie’s Board of Directors provides strategic leadership for Nellie’s in accordance to the organisation’s Vision, Mission, and Values. The board consists of 10 directors.
Currently we have two (2) vacancies on the Board of Directors.
Although individual Board members do not represent any particular constituency of Toronto, our aim is to have our Board membership reflect the city’s population and the clients we serve. Therefore, when recruiting applicants to our Board positions, the Nominations Committee will consider the following:
- Individuals who bring a perspective that encompasses the general experience of visible minority groups in Toronto.
- Individuals from diverse ethnic identities and cultural traditions and backgrounds.
- Individuals who understand from their personal experience, work and/or volunteer activities, issues important to vulnerable or marginalized community members (e.g. disability, sexual orientation, low income, homelessness youth, seniors.
This is consistent with Nellie’s commitment to the development of an agency that reflects the women it serves.
Currently Nellie’s is looking for women with a commitment to and experience in the following areas:
- Strong Board policy governance experience
- Working from an Anti-Racist/Anti-oppression Framework
- Feminist pedagogy and practice
- Community based skills, including service delivery and / or as a service user
- Human Resources
- Risk Management
Responsibilities of Successful Applicants:
Prepare for and attend monthly Board Meetings (2.5 hours per month + prep time) and the AGM in September
- Join one Board Committee (meetings usually once per month, 2.5 hours per month + prep time)
- Participate in the annual Board Retreat in October / November (10 hours approx.)
- Participate in the ongoing development and implementation of a long term vision and strategic plan for Nellie’s.
Successful applicants to the Nellie’s Board of Directors will be making a commitment to a two-year term, with possibility of extension to a maximum of three two-year terms.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter outlining your interest to serve on the Board and how your experiences align with Nellie’s mission. Please also include a resume (if applicable) or download the application form here. Correspondence can be sent by email or fax to:
Deadline for applications: May 15, 2017.
All interested persons are invited to and are encouraged to attend a Board information session scheduled on Wednesday, June 7 from 6:30 – 7:30pm at Nellie’s Administrative Office, 754 Queen Street East (Broadview & Queen). This will be an informal opportunity for you to meet with current Board members and talk with them about their experience on Nellie’s Board as well as learn more about Nellie’s.